Small Business Tips Blog
When a business makes Google Adwords part of their marketing plan, they pay for their website to appear among the sponsored links that pop up at the top of a Google search results page. It works this way: Advertisers bid on target phrases and keywords most frequently searched, then write the ad to include those keywords and phrases so their businesses rank high on Google. In 2008, Google Adwords brought in $21 billion dollars in revenue, and remains one of the company’s most significant sources of revenue.
Why do Google Adwords work? The program connects search terms with targeted services, products, or information for your customers. Let’s say, for example, you run a small organic grocery store. Your potential customer searches “organic vegetable lasagna recipes.” If you are using Google Adwords and set your ad to appear in your particular city or region, your grocery store ad will appear at the top of the search results. Now your customer has a direct link to your business, and an official organic supplier to find the ingredients needed for their dish.
Here are some of the ways you can structure your Google Adwords campaign for your needs:
- Write your ad to fit the medium: Google Adwords works because it’s effective for the medium being used. A search engine ad needs to be quick, concise, and written for the web.
- Remember your audience: The key to establishing some great Google Ads is knowing what your audience is looking for. Know your audience well enough to know what phrases and keywords they will search.
- An established online presence: A Google Adword works because it links customers back to your website. If you do not have an effective website or an established online presence the ad will be less effective.
- Establish a realistic budget and goal for your advertising program: The flexibility of Google Adwords is what makes it so desirable. Set a specific budget to bid on your keywords and phrases. With Google adwords you pay only if your ads are actually clicked on, and some ads cost as little as ten cents a click!
- Target your customers where they are: Google Adwords allows you to set your ad so it finds people based on their geographic location. You can set your ads to target customers within specific regions, cities, countries, and for specific languages. Google also allows you to estimate the reach of your ads, and then determine your target region.
- Track the effectiveness of your ads: With Google Adwords you can subscribe, create, and manage your ad campaign all on your own. Tools are in place to measure the effectiveness of your ads, brand awareness, and track the essential data, such as click through rate, website traffic, leads, and sales.
Visit adwords.google.ca to view more information, set up your account and create an ad! There is also an online community where you can message and learn from other advertisers.